Saturday, February 28, 2009

Shifting into a New Gear: The importance of mixing it up in my workouts

Today I had another intramural basketball game, and I've noticed a MAJOR difference in my speed on fastbreaks. I'd like to think that I could attribute it to my recent workout regimen, which--aside from weight lifting--includes a combination of plyometric workouts and runs various speeds.

In my limited experience in the world of fitness--or, at least, THINKING about fitness--I have learned one major thing: mixing it up is GOOD thing. I know a lot of people who have a routine that they repeat day after day, week after week, month after month, etc. And while I can't argue that they are still receiving a large number of health benefits from such consistency, I think they are missing out on potential fitness gains.

On my website, my profile lists three health goals that I have: 1. Dunk a basketball. 2. Run a mile in under 5 minutes. 3. Get my body fat under 8 percent. I think those are all good, quantifiable goals--abeit perhaps a little unrealistic, at least with the dunking. I'm 5' 9", and I don't know much about anything, but I DO know that there aren't a lot of guys my height throwing down tomahawk jams over 6'6" opponents. And it's not that I have a long way to go--I can sometimes throw down a miniball, so I'm right there, but I've been "right there" for about 9 years now.

I wish I could say that my new workouts have propelled me to incredible heights, and that I jam the ball down the other team's throat, but that would be inaccurate. Honestly, I didn't even ATTEMPT to dunk the ball. I DID, however, notice a lot more bounce in my step. I think I had about 8-10 rebounds in the game, and I was able to push the ball quickly up the court and get some easy baskets. I felt like anything was possible for me (that's called an endorphin high...;).

That's pretty much all I have to say about that, but I just wanted to reiterate the point that in my workouts, the key has been MIXING THINGS UP. I'll run just 1 1/2 to 2 miles on a breakneck speed on the treadmill one day, and then do plyometric workouts and leg lifts, and then another day go for a 4- to 5-mile run another day. It really helps me to gain cardio benefits one day, and explosive quickness the nest. But whatever workout I choose to do, I always make sure to get a good 48 hours of rest between rigorous exercises with the same muscle groups.

The 5-minute mile goal is coming--I can feel it. In fact, I wouldn't be suprised if I could run it right now; I just need to find a place where I can test it out--a high school track, for example.

The body fat percentage goal won't be attainable until I ascertain exactly what my current body fat percentage is, but I'm fairly certain I have a few percentage points to go there.

And the dunking goal, well, I have to go to work on this one. Most people get their first dunk in high school, not a year or two after graduating from college, so I realize that I only have so much time to accomplish this goal before it becomes increasingly more difficult.

But if I keep mixing things up, I feel like anything is possible.

2 comments:

  1. I have the same goals as you except for the body fat, mine is at 6 percent. I can run a mile in 6 minutes and I can almost dunk, but yet again I'm only 16 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also I came back to say that I want to do 55 pushups in a minute.

    ReplyDelete